Very good to all! I’m back from our trip to Bilbao, and before leaving you the recipe for the wholemeal macaroni with bechamel that I promised you before I left, I wanted to tell you that I’ve already uploaded the Vlog of the trip to my Instagram TV! I leave you the link here so you can see it and accompany me for me route of vegan tapas around the city.
But going back to the subject of the recipe, today I share with you a recipe that reminds me a lot of my childhood. When I was little, one of my mother’s favorite dishes was spaghetti with bechamel. I loved them! When I made them I could eat 300 dishes , so I couldn’t make them very often.
200 gr of wholemeal macaroni
4 or 5 tablespoons of spelled flour (or your usual flour)
600 ml unsweetened soy milk (alternatives: spelled milk or any NOT sweet milk)
A pinch of salt
Step by step
- We will start by cooking the macaroni following the instructions on the package: you can vary the cooking time depending on the type of pasta and whether it is integral or not. When they are al dente, strain them and set aside.
- On the other hand, finely chop the onion and sauté it with a little olive oil, until it takes on a little colour.
- When the onion is slightly golden, add the sliced mushrooms and brown them.
- When the sauté is ready, lower the heat to a minimum and add the 4 or 5 tablespoons of spelled flour to the pan (we will add more or less depending on the density we want to the sauce: the more flour, the denser).
- We mix the flour with the sautéed and brown for a couple of minutes, being careful not to burn the flour.
- Then, we add the 600 ml of unsweetened soy milk and stir.
- Add a pinch of e pepper and salt.
- Increase the heat slightly and, when the flour has mixed well with the soy milk, leave it at a very gentle boil until the vegan bechamel begins to become denser.
- When the béchamel looks creamy and thick, lower the heat to a minimum again.
- Add the macaroni to the pan and mix.
- We heat for a couple of minutes and turn off.
- And that’s it! Serve hot, with another pinch of salt and pepper on top.