How many times have a sandwich with tuna, chicken or mayonnaise been called a vegetable sandwich? Well, here, when I talk about vegetable sandwiches, I mean real vegetable sandwiches. Vegans. Without meat. Without cheese. No mayonnaise. no tuna No chicken.
This sandwich was an improvisation from the day we left for Barcelona to catch our plane to Rome. We left in the morning and we had a few hours by car to my city, so at least one stop to rest and eat something along the way we had to do. Since I didn’t want to leave it up to the roadside bars to eat, I made a couple of veggie sandwiches with my favorite ingredients for these: fresh spinach, a few slices of tomato, good avocado ripe and some sautéed mushrooms.
1/3 or 1/2 loaf of rustic bread
1 handful of fresh spinach
Step by step
- Split the loaf of bread in half and set aside.
- Wash and slice the mushrooms and sauté in a pan with a small splash of olive oil.
- Meanwhile, place 1 handful of fresh spinach on the base of the sandwich.
- Above the tomato and avocado  ;in slices.
- When the mushrooms are sautéed, place them on top of the avocado and close the sandwich.
- And that’s it!