Heavy and flavorful Vegan Sloppy Joes made with fresh, simple ingredients that are naturally sweet and only take 30 minutes to make! Flavorful, smoky, perfectly sweet – a delicious plant-based meal!
- 2 cups water (I have half water, half Vegetable-broth) uses
- 1 cup green or red lentils, rinsed well (red Lentils for a faster/softer result or green lentils for more bite/texture)
- 2 EL Olive or grapeseed oil li>
- 1/2 medium < span class="wprm- recipe-ingredients-name">white or yellow onion, chopped (more about serving )< /li>
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped (2 cloves make ~1 tbsp) < li class="wprm-recipe-ingredient" style="list-style-type: disk;">1/2 medium red or green peppers, diced
- Sea salt and black pepper (to taste)
- < span class="wprm-recipe -ingredient-amount">1 15 ounces Canned tomato sauce*
- 1-2 soup (more to taste)
- 1-2 soup sa vegan Worcestershire uce* (like this brand //guaranteed gluten-free for gluten-free consumers)
- < span class="wprm-recipe-ingredients-amount">1-2 span> TL chili powder (more to taste)
- 1 < span class="wprm-recipe-ingredient-unit">cc
ground cumin (more to taste)
- < span class="wprm-recipe-ingredient-quantity">1 pinch smoked or regular paprika (optional)
TO SERVE optional
- If using green lentils: In a small saucepan, add liquid (I used 1 cup water, 1 cup vegetable broth to add flavor // adjust the amount listed in the original recipe // if changing batch size ) and green lentils and heat over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat and cook, covered, about 18-22 minutes, or until tender. The water should be constantly simmering (not boiling). Drain off excess liquid and set aside.
- < strong >At Using Red Lentils: Place the liquid (water and/or vegetable stock) in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. After cooking, add the rinsed coral lentils and bring to the boil again. Reduce heat to low and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 10 minutes or until tender. You want them to be cooked through but not mushy. Drain well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add oil, onion, garlic and paprika. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and stir.
- Sauté for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the peppers and onions are tender and slightly browned.
- Then add the tomato sauce, sugar coconut, vegan Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, and paprika (optional ). Stir to combine.
- Once the lentils are cooked, add them to the pan as well and stir to combine.
- Continue to cook the mixture over medium-high heat until thoroughly heated and thickened, stirring occasionally – about 5- 10 minutes.