Many of you have asked us for recipes with textured soybeans and although we had tried it in some restaurants, this was the first time we had prepared it at home. Surely it will not be the last because we loved the result.
- 55 g de soja texturizada gruesa (2 onzas)
- 2 cucharadas de tamari o salsa de soja
- 2 dientes de ajo finamente troceados
- 1/2 cebolla finamente troceada
- 2 zanahorias grandes (140 g ó 5 onzas), peladas y cortadas en trozos grandes
- 1 patata mediana (225 g ó 0,5 libras), pelada y cortada en trozos grandes
- 2 cucharadas de harina, nosotros usamos harina de arroz integral
- 1/2 taza de vino tinto (125 ml)
- 1 taza de agua o caldo de verduras (250 ml)
- 2 cucharadas de tomate concentrado
- 2 hojas de laurel
- 1/4 cucharadita de pimienta negra molida
- 1/4 cucharadita de sal
- 1 taza de guisantes congelados (140 g)
- Soak the textured soybeans in a bowl with plenty of hot water (we put 2 cups or 500 ml) and 1 tablespoon of tamari or soy sauce for at least 15 minutes. Strain and reserve.
- Put the garlic, onion, carrots and potato in a pot along with a splash of water or oil and cook over medium heat- high for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more water or oil if necessary.
- Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the wine and cook for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Then add the water or vegetable broth and the concentrated tomato, stir and when it starts to boil add the other tablespoon of tamari or soy sauce, textured soy, bay leaves, pepper and salt. Stir and cook 20 minutes over medium heat with lid on.
- Add frozen peas and cook 10 more minutes or until vegetables are done.
- The vegan stew can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days.
- We’ve only made the stew with coarse textured soybeans, but I guess it could be good with tofu too. In that case, I would sauté it first in a pan (with or without oil) until it browns before putting it in the pot so it doesn’t get so soft.
- The tamari or soy sauce is optional. Textured soybeans can be soaked only in water or in vegetable broth a> and add more salt to the stew instead of tamari or soy sauce.
- The wine is optional, you can add water or broth in the same amount.
- I like it add tomato paste to stews without oil because I think they are richer, but it can be replaced by ketchup or fresh tomato.