On my mental to-do list was making vegan meatballs and using tempeh in the kitchen, so I decided to prepare this recipe, which has left me speechless. It is somewhat more elaborate than others that we have shared, but it is worth trying and doing it even from time to time, also, if you have a good food processor, it makes the task much easier.
In order not to add so much breadcrumbs, I have also added almond and chickpea flour, but if you want to simplify the recipe you can just add breadcrumbs, although you may have to add less because it is denser. If you want to make them gluten-free, you can try replacing the breadcrumbs with another flour that is suitable for you or with gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- Aceite de oliva virgen extra al gusto
- 1/2 cebolla
- 2 dientes de ajo
- 1 cucharada de semillas de lino o linaza + 3 cucharadas de agua
- 250 gramos de tempeh (unas 9 onzas)
- 1/4 taza de perejil (un puñado)
- 1/2 taza de harina de almendras (50 g)
- 1/4 taza de harina de garbanzos (25 g)
- 1/2 taza de pan rallado (60 g)
- 1 cucharada de orégano
- 1 cucharadita de ajo en polvo
- 1 cucharadita de cebolla en polvo
- 2 cucharadas de salsa de tomate
Para la salsa:
- Sear the finely chopped onion and garlic in a pan with a splash of oil over medium heat.
- Beat the flaxseeds with the water, put them in a glass or cup and let them sit.
- Pour the tempeh into a food processor and puree. Add the previously browned onion and garlic, the flax and water mixture, the parsley, the almond flour, the chickpea flour, the breadcrumbs, the oregano, the garlic and onion powder, and the tomato sauce and grind again. Make balls of the size you prefer with the dough.
- Put a splash of oil in a pan and brown the meatballs over medium to medium high heat so that they cook on the outside and take color. Remove them from the pan when they’re done and set aside.
- To make the sauce, simply add the ingredients to the pan, stir, and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the meatballs and cook for about 10 minutes so they cook inside.
Recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker