The first thing Alberto and I ate together was a hamburger, exactly 9 years ago. It was from McDonalds because at that time we were not vegans, nor were we very concerned about our health. Today’s is a thousand times healthier, it’s delicious and it’s better for the planet and for the animals, all are advantages!
Today we are precisely celebrating our ninth anniversary in London and while this entry is being published we will be visiting the Warner Bros. Studio Tour London of Harry Potter like the good geeks that we are, although I am afraid that we will not try the butterbeer because it is not vegan. ?
- 650 g de batata o boniato sin piel y troceada (1,5 libras)
- 400 g de alubias blancas cocinadas o de bote (14 oz)
- 2 cucharadas de tahini
- 1 cucharada de tamari o salsa de soja
- 1 cucharadita de ajo en polvo
- 1 cucharadita de cebolla en polvo
- 1/4 cucharadita de pimienta negra molida
- 1 taza de semillas de lino molidas (160 g)
- 1 1/2 tazas de levadura nutricional o de cerveza (90 g)
- Aceite de oliva virgen extra al gusto
- Steam the sweet potato for about 15 or 20 minutes or until tender. It can also be boiled or baked, although cooking time will vary.
- When the sweet potato is done, place it in a large bowl and mash it with a fork .
- Add the beans and mash again.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and continue stirring until obtain a homogeneous dough.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC or 390ºF.
- Make hamburgers with the help of hands and brown them on both sides in a pan with a little extra virgin olive oil.
- Place the burgers on a baking tray and bake for about 10 or 15 minutes.
- We serve the burgers with rye bread, lettuce, tomato, avocado and red onion.
- We use a blender to grind the flaxseeds.
- You can use potato instead of potato and other legumes, although you may need to add more or less flax or nutritional or brewer’s yeast.
- You can use any type of flour or breadcrumbs instead of the flax and yeast if you like.
- The tahini can be substituted with any other vegetable fat such as oil or some nut butter. Another option is to remove it.
- Salt can be used instead of soy sauce.
- Add your favorite spices or herbs.
- If you prefer not to use oil , you can bake the hamburgers directly until they are golden brown on both sides.
- The hamburgers can be frozen, although the ideal is to put parchment paper or something similar between one and the other so that it is easier to remove them later. We take them out of the fridge the night before and then heat them a little in the oven or in a pan until they are ready.