don’t know why I’ve waited so long to try the vegan scramble, it’s amazing! It could fool anyone because it has the same texture and taste of a traditional scramble, especially if you use black salt (also known as Kala Namak) because it tastes identical to fried eggs due to its high sulfur content.
This recipe is very simple, you only need: extra virgin olive oil (or the one you normally use, not refined please!), onion, potatoes, vegan chorizo, tofu, turmeric, salt, pepper and black salt. You can also add other vegetables like garlic or bell pepper, or other spices or herbs.
- Aceite de oliva virgen extra
- 3/4 taza de chorizo (100 g)
- 1/2 cebolla
- 2 patatas medianas
- 275 g de tofu (9.7 oz)
- 1/8 cucharadita de cúrcuma
- Sal y pimienta al gusto
- Una pizca de sal negra
- Cut the chorizo and brown it in a trickle Of olive oil. Reserve.
- Peel the potatoes, wash them, cut them in half and chop them into thin slices. Chop the onion.
- In this step you have to choose one of the two versions. Normal version: Add plenty of oil to a frying pan and when hot add the potatoes, onion and salt to taste. Cover with a lid and let the potatoes cook over medium heat until done, usually about 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally so they don’t stick to the pan. Strain the potatoes and onion with a slotted spoon or strainer to remove the oil. Booking. Light version: Put one or two tablespoons of oil in a frying pan and when it is hot add the potatoes and onion, add salt to taste, 250 milliliters of water (or a cup) and raise the heat to maximum. When the water is boiling, lower the temperature to medium heat and cover the pan with a lid. Leave the potatoes until they are done, it takes approximately 15 or 20 minutes. Stir occasionally so they don’t stick to the pan. If they are hard and the water has been consumed, pour a little more and if they are done and have water left over, strain them. Reserve.
- Crush the tofu and crumble it with a fork so that it has a texture similar to that of a scrambled egg. Cook it in the pan with a splash of oil until it’s how you like it, I usually have it for about 5 or 10 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, stir, add chorizo, onion, potato, add salt and pepper to taste and a pinch of black salt. Cook everything for about 5 minutes so that the flavors mix.