You ask us a lot to make vegan cheeses and although we have several recipes on the blog, we haven’t made one for a long time. I have a very interesting book at home about vegan cheeses, but some ingredients are not from the all healthy and most of the recipes are not as simple or simple as ours, the truth is that I have somewhat abandoned the subject of cheeses. Let’s see if I get on it.
This vegan pumpkin cheese sauce is similar to our popular vegan cheese, although tastes different. Both sauces are very tasty, but the vegan cheese tastes more like real cheese. Anyway, I can’t say which one I like the most, you have to try this recipe because it’s amazing and the sauce is incredibly creamy.
- 2 tazas de calabaza pelada y cortada en dados (300 g)
- 1/4 taza de leche de soja sin endulzar (65 ml)*
- 2 cucharadas de aceite de oliva virgen extra**
- 1 cucharadita de cebolla en polvo
- 1/2 cucharadita de ajo en polvo
- 1 ó 1 y 1/2 cucharaditas de sal marina
- 4 cucharadas de levadura nutricional o levadura de cerveza
- 1 cucharada de zumo de limón
- 200 g ó 7 oz de macarrones con o sin gluten
- Perejil fresco para decorar (opcional)
- Steam the pumpkin for 10 minutes or until tender. I use a pot with a basket, I add water without reaching the bottom of the basket and when it starts to boil I add the pumpkin and cook it covered over medium high heat. You can also cook or bake it, whichever you prefer.
- Put the pumpkin in a blender along with the rest of the sauce ingredients. We beat until they are perfectly integrated.
- We cook the pasta until it is to our liking. The ideal is to follow the instructions on the package, although we do not add salt. To save time, you can cook the pasta at the same time as the pumpkin.
- We mix the pasta and the sauce in the pot.
- Serve the macaroni and decorate with a little chopped fresh parsley (optional). You can store the paste in a tupperware or lunch box in the fridge and it will last about 3 or 4 days. It can be reheated and frozen without problems, although you will have to add a little milk because the sauce will be thicker.
* If you can’t have soy, substitute it for any other vegetable milk unsweetened
** If you want you can remove the oil and replace it with water