Who doesn’t love pesto? I would put it on everything and could even eat it by the spoonful. We have several versions on the blog and I like them all so much that I couldn’t choose just one.
In all the pesto recipes that we have prepared so far we have always used raw green leaves such as basil or spinach, but to make this vegan kale pesto we have taken the risk of using cooked kale and it has been spectacular.
- 115 g de kale (4 oz)
- 1/4 taza de nueces (30 g)
- 1/4 taza de levadura nutricional o de cerveza (4 cucharadas)
- 1/4 taza de aceite de oliva virgen extra (4 cucharadas), ver notas para una opción sin aceite
- 1–2 cucharadas de agua
- 1/4 cucharadita de sal
- 1/8 cucharadita de pimienta negra molida
- 2 dientes de ajo
- Cook or steam the kale for about 5 minutes, pour cold water over it and drain with your hands to remove excess water.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth integrated. The amount of oil can vary depending on how thick you want your pesto. I like to add a little water to it so it doesn’t have as much fat, but it’s tastier if you use only oil and it also lasts longer.
- You can store it in the fridge in an airtight container for 4-5 days.
- If you don’t drink oil, you can use tahini or any nut butter diluted in water (I usually add half the amount of tahini oil and half the amount of water, although it’s a matter of taste).
- Walnuts can be substituted for pine nuts or other nuts.