Hello everyone! Today I bring you a recipe that is the result of chance, improvisation and the lack of ingredients in my house… If you follow me on Instagram you will know. Which by chance has given me back one of my favorite cookies from my childhood: Danish butter cookies (but now vegan).
Do you remember those cookies that came in a tin and wrapped in little papers made of cupcakes? Those cans that later our mothers and grandmothers used for sewing and little pots. They were apparently simple cookies, very very simple and without many frills, but their flavor and aroma were unmistakable. When someone opened one of those cans, it was smelled throughout the house.
3/4 cup cornstarch (regular sized cup)
2 small tbsp shortening (some brands contain dairy )
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
125 ml of condensed coconut milk chilled in the fridge (I used the Nature’sCharm brand)
1 small tsp liquid vanilla (I used vahiné)
1 small and 1/2 tsp powdered sugar
3/4 small tsp baking powder
* Baking paper
Step by step
- We will start by melting the 2 small tablespoons of vegetable shortening with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in the microwave or a small pot.
- Next, add 1 small tsp and 1/2 icing sugar. We mix very very well.
- Now, we add the condensed coconut milk, which we will have had resting in the fridge for a while.
- We also add 1 small teaspoon of liquid vanilla.
- Mix well with the help of a whisk until everything is well integrated.
- Continue adding the 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder and 3/4 cup of cornstarch, little by little, while stirring with a whisk.
- When rods can no longer knead, we pass to a fork or with our hands. It should be a soft and moldable dough.
- Now, we take small portions and shape it into a ball. We repeat the process with all the dough and place it on a large tray, with parchment paper on it.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees, from below, for 10 minutes.
- Slightly flatten the cookies with a fork or the palm of your hand, and place them well apart from each other (they will double in size, so give them space so they don’t stick together)
- We introduce the cookies at medium height in the oven, and bake them for 10-15 minutes.
- After that time, we activate the bottom and top baked mode, at 180 degrees as well.
- We bake until golden on both sides, which will take about 8-10 more minutes, between 20 and 25 minutes in total. Try to be attentive but open the oven door as little as possible.
- Let them cool down before eating them and that’s it! You can serve them with a little icing sugar decorating on top.