As a child I ate chicken soup almost daily during the cold months, so when I saw this soup on Pinterest, which in English is known as «chicken noodle soup» and is one of the most popular in the United States, I decided to prepare a vegan version.
It is a very simple soup, which can be easily adapted to what we have at home. I have seen vegan versions that use vegan chicken broth, although it is not something that is easy to find in Spain and I personally prefer to use vegetable broth, better if it is homemade.
- 1 cucharada de aceite de oliva virgen extra (opcional)
- 1 zanahoria, troceada
- 1 rama de apio, troceada
- 1/2 cebolla, troceada
- 2 dientes de ajo, troceados
- 225 g de sucedáneo de pollo (8 onzas), troceado en tiras (ver notas)
- 1/4 cucharadita de sal
- 1/4 cucharadita de pimienta negra molida
- 1 cucharadita de sazonador para pollo
- 2 hojas de laurel
- 4 tazas de caldo de verduras (1 litro)
- 115 g de pasta, sin gluten si es necesario (4 oz), yo usé fusilli de arroz integral
- Heat the oil in a pot. If you don’t use oil, you can use a little vegetable broth or water. Add vegetables and vegan chicken and sauté over medium-high heat until browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining ingredients (except pasta ), stir and when the broth starts to boil, add the pasta and cook over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes or until the pasta is cooked. Remove the bay leaves and serve immediately. I sprinkled some fresh parsley on top for garnish, but that’s optional.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-7 days.
- I used these soy and wheat strips like vegan chicken, but if you can’t eat gluten, products from Heura are an excellent option, although there are more and more brands that make vegan substitutes that can be bought in vegan stores and supermarkets. If not, you can always use tofu, tempeh, textured soybeans, seitan, or other legumes like chickpeas. You can also eliminate this ingredient, the soup will still be very tasty.
- If you don’t want to make the chicken seasoning, you can buy it ready-made or add the spices you want.
- You can use another type of pasta like noodles or no pasta at all.
- Add more or less broth, vegetables, vegan chicken or pasta, depending on how brothy you like your soup.