You have been asking us for more vegan cheese recipes for a long time and the ones we have on the blog are usually the most popular.
- 2 tazas de anacardos crudos y sin sal (300 g)
- 1/2 taza de agua (125 ml)
- 1/4 taza de levadura nutricional o de cerveza (4 cucharadas)
- 2 cucharadas de zumo de limón
- 1 cucharadita de ajo en polvo
- 1 cucharadita de cebolla en polvo
- 1 cucharadita de sal
- 2 cápsulas de probióticos (opcional)
- 1/2 taza de pistachos (70 g)
- Soak cashews in hot water for at least 20 minutes.
- Strain and place in a food processor along with the rest of the ingredients (except the pistachios) and blend until well combined. Of the probiotics you only need the powders that come inside, discard the capsules.
- Place a strainer over a bowl and put a couple of gauze on top, pour the mixture and tie the gauze with a rubber band as you can see in the fifth photo. Place a cloth over it and let the cheese rest for 16 hours, preferably in a warm place.
- After 16 hours change the gauze, tie them again with the rubber band , cover again with the cloth and this time leave the cheese in the fridge for at least 24 hours.
- Remove the cheese from the cheesecloth (it should already be hard by outside as you can see in the sixth photo) and set aside.
- Put the pistachios in the food processor and pulse until they are finely chopped. Put the pistachios in a plate or bowl and coat the cheese with them.
- We serve it with crackers, but you can have it like any cheese spread.
- Store it in the fridge in an airtight container for about 10-15 days.
- Recipe inspired by Hot For Food.
- Probiotics are good for the gut and help with fermentation, but they are not essential.
- You can use any other nut or seed instead of the pistachios.
- We’ve only made the cheese using cheesecloth, although I suppose a piece of cloth or even a napkin could also be used.
- We have been buying probiotics at iHerb for a long time and they are vegan, specifically they are from this brand, although they can also be found in herbalists (from other brands). The good thing about iHerb is that it is a very cheap website and has products that are difficult to find in Spain. If you buy for the first time, you can use my discount code: JWT081, with it you can get a discount of 5 or 10$ (it varies depending on how much you spend) and we get a small discount on the next purchase. We have placed many orders and have never had any customs issues.