I am absolutely in love with this vegan carrot cake! It is one of the best tarts I have ever tasted and it is on its way to becoming my favorite dessert, because it is sweet and tender.
The best thing about this homemade carrot cake is that you know exactly what ingredients it has and that you can customize it with the spices you want. I hope you enjoy it!
Para la tarta de zanahoria vegana:
- 1 taza de leche vegetal sin endulzar (240 ml), yo usé leche de soja
- 3 cucharadas de vinagre de manzana o zumo de limón
- 3 tazas de harina de trigo (375 g)
- 1 taza y 1/2 de tazas de azúcar (300 g)
- 1 cucharadita y 1/2 de levadura en polvo o polvo de hornear
- 1 cucharadita y 1/2 de bicarbonato
- 1 cucharadita de canela en polvo
- 1/2 cucharadita de sal
- 1/4 cucharadita de nuez moscada
- 1/2 taza de aceite (120 ml), yo usé aceite de canola
- 1 cucharada de extracto de vainilla
- 2 tazas de zanahoria rallada (220 g)
- 1 taza de nueces (120 g), picadas (opcional)
Para el frosting:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF or 180ºC. Grease two 7-8 inch (18-20 cm) round pans. I also line them with parchment paper.
- Mix the non-dairy milk and vinegar in a bowl until well combined. Let the mixture sit at room temperature for at least 5 minutes for the milk to curdle.
- Meanwhile, put the dry ingredients in a large bowl (flour, sugar , baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg) and mix until well combined.
- Add the oil, vanilla extract, and vegetable milk and vinegar. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Add the grated carrot and walnuts and stir again until well combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the two pans.
- Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes or until, when pierced with a toothpick, come out clean. Baking time will vary depending on oven.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack, then cool completely before frosting. If you don’t have a wire rack, just use a plate or whatever you have on hand.
- To make the frosting, put the vegan butter in a bowl and beat until smooth. a light and fluffy texture. Add the vegan cream cheese and beat again. Then add the vanilla extract and salt and beat again. Finally, gradually add the sugar and beat until you get a creamy mixture.
- Once both layers of the cake have cooled completely, glaze with the frosting, also adding a thick layer of frosting between the two parts of the cake. You can use a spatula or a knife.
- Cut and serve your vegan carrot cake with a cup of matcha latte o golden milk. Ideally, you should leave it in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving, but this is optional.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for a few 3-5 days. You can also freeze your homemade carrot cake for up to 1 month without the frosting. Thaw just before serving.
- With this carrot cake recipe you can also make cupcakes. Simply fill 3/4 of cupcake liners and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- To make a 1-tier vegan carrot cake, divide ingredients in half. For a healthier version, omit the frosting.
- You can use any kind of unsweetened non-dairy milk, like oat milk, almond milk, coconut-milk, cashew-milk or even < a href="https://danzadefogones.com/rice-milk/">rice milk. Still, soy milk is my favorite for baking.
- You can also customize your vegan carrot cake with any kind of sugar, salt, and oil.
- Nuts can be omitted or substitute raisins, vegan chocolate chips, or other nuts.
- Nutrition information calculated without vegan frosting.
- Preparation time does not include the time you have to wait for the carrot cake to cool down nor the cooling time in the fridge.