This vegan caramel sauce has changed my life. I love caramel and especially caramel sauce, but it is usually made with white sugar and cream, so it is not a vegan option, nor is it very healthy.
For this reason, I prepared a vegan caramel sauce with milk from coconut, dates and almond butter, but this version is closer to the original and richer, so much so that I could eat the whole jar by the spoonful.
- Heat maple syrup and oil of coconut in a saucepan or in the microwave for about 30-60 seconds or until the coconut oil is completely melted and the mixture is hot.
- Pour the Mix in a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir until fully integrated. Depending on how thick your almond butter is, you may need to add more or less. I would start by adding 2 tablespoons and gradually add the rest until you get the perfect consistency.
- This vegan caramel sauce can be enjoyed either hot or cold, with slices of apple or you can use it in any other recipe that goes well with caramel.
- You can store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks. li>
- I haven’t tried using other nut butters, though I think it should work fine. Depending on how thick the butter you use, you may need to add more or less.
- Any sweetener that has a consistency similar to maple syrup should work fine.
- As for coconut oil, I haven’t tried using any other oil either, although it may work. However, I recommend using an oil with a mild flavor.
- Recipe adapted from Pinch of Yum.