The anchovies in vinegar were one of the tapas that I ate the most when I was little in Malaga and I loved them. The recipe is essentially made with vegan ingredients, except for the anchovies which, for those of you who don’t know, are a type of small fish. For this reason, if we replace the anchovies with courgette, we will obtain a 100% vegetable tapa.
- 1 calabacín grande (400 g ó 14 oz)
- 1 hoja de alga nori ó 2 cucharadas de nori en copos (opcional)
- 1 cucharadita de sal
- 3/4 taza de vinagre de manzana (200 ml)
- 1/4 taza de agua (65 ml)
- 2 dientes de ajo, troceados
- 2 cucharadas de perejil fresco troceado
- 1 ó 2 cucharadas de aceite de oliva virgen extra
- Peel the zucchini and make strips using a peeler or a mandoline (if you don’t have a knife you can manage). We use a mandolin and slice the zucchini about 3 mm or 1/8 inch thick. You have to discard the part of the center, where the seeds are. If you use a mandoline it is possible that the strips come out very wide, we cut them in half with a knife so that they were similar in size to an anchovy.
- You can buy nori seaweed flakes or beat a sheet of nori seaweed in a whip until it is powdered.
- In a bowl, put the zucchini and the salt and stir with the help of your hands or a spoon.
- Add the vinegar, water and nori seaweed and stir again. Cover and store in the fridge for at least 4 hours (better overnight). The zucchini needs to be completely covered by the marinade.
- Strain the zucchini and wash them so they don’t have such a strong vinegar taste.
- To serve, put the zucchini on a plate, add the garlic, parsley and olive oil.
- You can save the leftovers in the fridge for about 2-3 days.
- The nori seaweed is not essential, although I recommend that you add it because it is what gives it the flavor of the sea.
- You can use any type of vinegar.
- To make the garlic more digestible, you can remove the germ, although we like it as is.
- The original recipe usually uses more oil, in fact the anchovies they are usually covered in oil, but they are also very tasty and lighter this way.
- If you want your vegan anchovies to taste even more fishy, you can sprinkle a little nori flakes on top before serving .
- Preparation time does not include standing time.
- Nutritional information is not exact because the marinade liquid is broken down, so the sodium content will be much lower .
- With the code DANZA-DE-FOGONES-5 you will get a 5% discount on any product on the Vitality 4 Life.