Very good to everyone! Second consecutive day of bringing you recipe. In this case I bring you one of those quick recipes that I’ve been preparing lately on some hot nights that I don’t feel like cooking: a supervegan sandwich with 2 cheeses and onion.
Very recently they started selling sliced Mozarella-style vegan cheese in Cónsum supermarkets (I think it’s not in all Cónsums yet, but check it out because they’re putting lots of vegan ice creams too), the supermarket that I have just below from home. On top of that, the one they sell is from my favorite brand: Violife. It is not a cheap cheese, but it is not one of the most expensive either. The 200gr pack comes out to €2.99, but since it is an ingredient for occasional consumption, I take it as a little expensive whim.
4 slices of whole wheat bread
2 medium size potatoes
2 slices of violife cheese
2 teaspoons of yeast Nutritional (it’s optional, but it’s what gives it the touch of cheese)
1/2 small onion
Very optional: dehydrated onion
Optional: Olive oil
Step by step
- Peel and cut the potatoes into medium-sized cubes. Cook them in plenty of water.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the onion and set aside.
- When the potato is well cooked (it can be easily pierced with a fork) Remove from the water and pour it into the blender jar.
- Add about 100 ml of water and blend until you get a creamy, dense but smooth texture.
- It is important not to leave lumps.
- Add to the blender a pinch of turmeric, two or three pinches of salt, 2 small teaspoons of nutritional yeast and garlic powder to taste.
- We return to grind and check the taste. You can add more spices if you wish.
- Take the sandwich bread and place a slice of violife vegan cheese. On top, generously chopped onion, and crown with the potato ‘cheese’ style cream.
- Sprinkle basil.
- I have placed some dehydrated onion on top, but this is totally optional.
- We close the sandwich and toast it well on the griddle. You can put a little olive oil to grease it, or not. As you like the finish of the bread!