Vanilla extract is one of the most used ingredients in the preparation of sweet recipes. It is a basic that should never be missing in your kitchen and also this homemade version is much cheaper and healthier.
Many of the vanilla extracts found in the supermarket are riddled with chemicals, and those that are not are much more expensive. This is made with only natural ingredients and contains no artificial additives or preservatives.
- 250 ml de vodka (1 taza)
- 6 vainas de vainilla
- Split pods in half lengthwise.
- Put the pods in a glass jar or bottle (previously sterilized with boiling water) and cover them with the vodka.
- Close the bottle tightly and store it in a cool, dark place to prevent the vodka from oxidizing. Ideally, shake it once a week, although it’s not essential.
- Use it in all the sweet recipes you fancy, such as a delicious vegan vanilla ice-cream a>, a vegan brownie and you can even add it to some vegan cookies.
- You don’t need to use a high-quality alcohol, a cheap one works perfectly.
- Ideally, you should wait at least 3 months before using it, although it is enough to leave it for a month. The longer it sits, the more vanilla flavor it will have.
- You can leave the pods in the extract or strain it when it’s ready. I remove them every 6 months because from then on they don’t add any more flavor, but it’s not necessary.
- You can also add more pods and more vodka as you use it or prepare it again from scratch.