Tiger nut horchata is a delicious and refreshing drink, although it is usually full of white sugar, which is why we prefer to use dates to sweeten it, it is even richer and much healthier, although you can use any natural sweetener.
On the blog we have many recipes for vegetable milks  And we couldn’t miss the horchata, a typical drink in Spain. The ingredients are very cheap and easy to find, except for the tiger nuts, but if you want you can replace them with another dried fruit such as almonds. It is not the same and it will not have the same flavor, but it will make a very tasty drink.
- 4 tazas de agua (1 litro)
- 250 g de chufas (9 oz) También puedes usar otros frutos secos como almendras
- 1 rama de canela en rama
- 1 trozo de corteza de limón
- 4 dátiles Medjool u 8 Deglet Nour
- Soak the tiger nuts for 24 hours or at least since the night before.
- Strain and wash the tiger nuts. Beat in a powerful blender together with 2 cups of water (500 ml). Store the mixture in the fridge in a glass jar or bottle along with the cinnamon and lemon peel for at least 2 hours.
- Strain the liquid using a bag to make plant milk, a napkin, a piece of cloth or Chufamix.
- Whip the liquid together with the 2 cups remaining water (500 ml) and dates (the amount of dates or sweetener can vary depending on your taste).
- Store the horchata in a jar or glass bottle in the fridge until very cold.
- You can serve it with a little powdered cinnamon on top and if it’s very hot, you can also add a couple of ice cubes.
Recipe adapted from vegetarianismo.net