The BEST 10-ingredient gluten-free vegan cornbread! Juicy, crumbly, perfectly sweet, so delicious! Pair it with chili for the ultimate fall and winter treat.
- 1/3 cup
chickpea brine (Whip until fluffy, soft peaks form // also known as aquafaba)< /span>
- 1/2 span> Cup Organic cane sugar* (as the original recipe is written you can add up to 1/4 cup with 1 packet or a teaspoon of stevia extract) li>
- 3/4 cup
unsweetened almond milk
- 1 TL Apple Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Grapeseed or rapeseed oil
- 1 Cup gluten-free all-purpose flour* a>
- 1 Cup fine cornmeal
- < span class="wprm-recipe-ingredients-amount">1 1/2TL yeast powder
- 3/4 cup
- 1/2 TL Sodium Bicarbonate span> li>
- 1/4 span > < span class="wprm-recipe-ingredients-unit">cc salt
FOR SERVING optional
- < li class="wprm-recipe-ingredients" style="list-style-type: disc;">Vegan Butter
- maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 176°C and grease a standard Lightly line a 9-inch round cake pan or 8×8-inch casserole dish and sprinkle with gluten free flour. Shake off excess and set aside. (I also think you could use a 9″ cast iron skillet, but it wouldn’t come out as easily and will probably need to be served straight from the skillet).
- In a liquid measuring cup, measure plant milk and add vinegar or lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the chickpea brine and start stirring until loose peaks form. Then gradually add the sugar and beat until the texture is glossy and white, forming semi-solid peaks.
- Add dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk. Then add the almond milk mixture and oil and beat again. Finally, add the whipped chickpea brine (along with the sugar) and beat gently until a thick but pourable paste forms.
- The batter should be thick but runny. Add more cornmeal or gluten-free flour if it’s too wet, or almond milk if it’s too thick. I also added 1 tbsp cornmeal and 2 tbsp lighter gluten free flour mix (amounts as per original recipe //adjust if batch size is changed).
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan and bake on middle shelf for 25-35 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in center comes out completely clean.
- Let cool completely in the pan – place on a wire rack to speed up the cooling process. To remove, run a dull knife around the edge of the cake pan to loosen it, then slice and serve. You can also put a plate on top and quickly turn over. It will be upside down, so flip it onto another serving platter to put it right side up again.
- With vegan serve butter and maple syrup. Goes great with savory dishes like the Vegan Lentil Chili.
- Store covered at room temperature for 2-3 days or in the fridge for 3-4 days. Freeze up to 1 month.