A hearty, plant-based, gluten-free bowl meal with smoky black-eyed peas, tender greens, a crunchy, flavorful sauce and a perfectly cooked sweet potato. It’s delicious, filling, and awesome for meal prep!
- BLACK EYED PEAS: If you haven’t already brewed a batch of Smoky Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas & Green, do it now. It can be made up to 3-4 days ahead or (our favorite method) kept in the freezer and reheated for quick weeknight meals. If using frozen, place in the fridge 24 hours before serving, or thaw in warm water or in the microwave.
- SWEET POTATOES: Preheat the oven to 190°C. Halve the sweet potatoes lengthways and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with some oil (if you avoid oil, leave it out and use parchment paper) and massage in to coat. Place the potatoes cut-side down on the baking sheet. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until caramelized around the edges and when you press the top of the potatoes they are a little springy.
- HOT SAUCE: Prepare Hot Mango Habanero Hot Sauce if you don’t buy it at the store (we recommend homemade sauce for the best flavor). It can be prepared up to 2 weeks in advance (or longer if kept in the freezer).
- If your Smoky Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas & The vegetables are in the fridge, at this point reheat them in a large saucepan over medium heat or in the microwave.
- To assemble the savory bowls, divide the heated yams and black-eyed peas into serving bowls and top with 1-2 tablespoons (15-30mL) hot sauce per bowl.
- Preferably fresh. Store the remaining ingredients separately in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Black-eyed peas and hot sauce can be frozen for up to 1-2 months.