High protein tempeh marinated in a smoky red chipotle sauce over brown rice, black beans and veggies! A hearty meal based on 9 plant-based ingredients!
RICE + BEANS
- < span class="wprm-recipe -amount of ingredients">1 cup < span class="wprm-recipe-ingredient-name">uncooked brown rice + water for cooking
- 1 15 ounces Can of Black Beans (if unsalted, add salt)< /li>
- 1/2 cc Cumin powder
< ul class="wprm-recipe-ingredients">
- 1 tablespoon < span class="wprm-recipe-ingredient-name">Olive or Avocado Oil
- < Extent Class="wprm-recipe-ingredient-amount">1/2 large white onion (diced)
- 2 Cloves Garlic, chopped < span class ="wprm-recipe-ingredients-notes wprm-recipe-ingredients -notes-faded">(2 cloves make ~1 tbsp)
- 1 15 ounces < span class="wprm-recipe-ingredient-name">box Tomato Sauce*< /li>
- 1< /span> entirely Chipotle to Adobo-S auce (preserved // plus 1 tbsp sauce // adjust depending on desired seasoning) li>
FOR SERVING optional
- Fresh coriander, chopped
- Red cabbage, thinly sliced
< li class="wprm-rezeptzutat" style="list-style-type: disc;">hot sauce
- If serving with rice, start with < a href="http://www.saveur.com/perfect-brown-rice-recipe" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">this saveur method – my absolute favorite for fluffy (not gooey at all ) Brown rice! It takes 45 minutes so start it now to serve.
- Next steam tempeh, the 1 inch d water to a Add to large saucepan and bring to a boil. Then insert the steamer insert and cover with tempeh (always whole or cut into large pieces). Cover and steam for 15 minutes – this will soften the texture a bit and most importantly remove some of the bitterness. Once steamed, dice and set aside.
- Prepare the sauce by prepping a medium-sized cast iron or metal skillet heat on medium heat. Once hot, add oil and onions. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender and lightly browned – 3 minutes. Then add the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, chipotle pepper and adobo sauce and stir. Heat until bubbling, then reduce heat and simmer 3-4 minutes.
- Put the sauce in a blender and on the highest setting puree heat for a perfectly smooth sauce. Pulse for a thicker sauce and leave some texture (I prefer mine smooth). Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed, adding a pinch of salt for extra flavor or adobo sauce for spiciness.
- Return the sauce to the skillet and heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, to thicken the sauce and deepen the flavor.
- Then add the black beans to a small saucepan and heat over medium-high heat. Once bubbling, reduce the heat, add the cumin seeds and a pinch of sea salt, stir and reduce the heat to low/simmer (to keep warm until ready to serve). For a chilled bean texture, puree with the back of a wooden spoon until thick and mushy (I left mine whole).
- Heat another large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add oil and cubed tempeh (steamed) and crisp and brown on all sides – about 6-8 minutes total. Then add to the red sauce and stir gently to coat.
- Cover with a lid for 2-3 minutes to allow the Allow the flavors to stir together, then remove the lid and continue to simmer at a very low temperature until ready to serve.
- To serve, divide rice and beans , tempeh and vegetables of your choice between 2-3 serving bowls. Garnish with lime and fresh cilantro (optional).
- Keep leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.