Salmorejo is a smooth cream that is served cold and is very useful for cooling off in summer. It is a very simple and totally natural recipe, as well as delicious and nutritious. I like it so much that I also take it in winter, although in that case I prefer it at room temperature.
It is a typical dish from Andalusia, specifically from Córdoba. It comes from gazpacho but has a creamier texture and a thicker consistency as more bread is incorporated into its composition.
- 1 diente de ajo, pelado
- 1 kilo de tomates (35 oz), troceados
- 150 g de pan (5,3 oz), troceado
- 150 ml de aceite de oliva virgen extra (2/3 de taza)
- 1 cucharada de vinagre (opcional)
- 1 cucharadita de sal
- Put all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Let cool in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Serve immediately. We top it with vegan scrambled tofu and tempeh bacon, but you can also add vegetables, seitan or baked chickpeas.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for about 3- 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Beat it again if the water has separated from the rest of the ingredients when it thaws.
- You can remove the germ from the garlic so that it does not repeat or substitute it with garlic powder.
- It is not necessary to peel the tomatoes or strain the salmorejo, especially if you use a powerful blender or food processor.
- Vinegar is not essential, but it gives the recipe a very rich and refreshing flavor.
- You can use white bread,  ;wholemeal bread o gluten-free bread. Some recipes only use the crumb, but I prefer to use the whole bread to make the most of it.
- Add more or less oil, vinegar or salt depending on your taste.