Delicious roasted fennel and Brussels sprouts salad with almonds, cranberries and orange slices. An easy, delicious, and elegant veggie side dish for the holidays and beyond! Only 9 ingredients needed!
- 1 medium onion Fennel, fronds and stems removed, halved, cored and thinly sliced with a knife or mandolin (1 medium bulb makes about 2 cups or 180g sliced)
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and halved (small sprouts cook better)< /li>
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil (see notes if oil is not present) span>
- 1/2 cc sea salt and black pepper each
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoon dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup Orange slices, peeled and skinless, cut into thin 1-inch pieces
- 2 soup Apple vinegar (or balsamic vinegar sub for more variety) span >
- 1 soup Olive oil (if no oil, omit) < /li>
- 1/4 cc Sea Salt
- Preheat the oven to 218°C and place a large (or Line two small) baking tray(s) with baking paper.
- Fennel, Brussels sprouts ( including outer leaves that fell off when cutting), place olive oil, salt, and pepper on baking sheet(s) and toss to coat. Spread in an even layer and turn the Brussels sprouts cut-side down. If the vegetables are crowded, use more baking sheets to encourage browning.
- Fry for 18 to 25 minutes or until tender, golden and slightly crunchy on edges and cut side.
- TOPPING: While the vegetables are cooking, toast the almonds. Place almonds in a dry skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until lightly browned – about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To slice the orange, cut the top and bottom and then place the flat edge of the cutting board and use a knife to remove the skin and white skin (this will remove the bitterness). Next, cut the orange into 1 inch pieces.
- CLOTHING: In a jar with a lid (or in a bowl ) , mix apple cider vinegar, olive oil and salt. Shake (or whisk) to combine.
- Place roasted vegetables on a serving plate or Key. Garnish with toasted almonds, chopped cranberries and orange slices. Drizzle with dressing and mix. Taste and adjust as needed, adding more vinegar for shine, orange slices for sweetness or salt to taste.
- Am best fresh. As you continue, keep the components separate and only assemble them just before serving. Not suitable for the freezer.