Rice is one of my favorite ingredients, I could eat rice every day like they do in some Asian countries and I would be very happy. This vegan rice with chorizo recipe is very tasty and easy to make. If you can’t find vegan chorizo you can use tofu, vegan sausages, vegetables or simply eliminate it because the sauce will give the dish a very rich flavor.
You can use any vegetable and the recipe will always be delicious, it is the good thing about vegetables, that it is very easy to cook with them and it is difficult for a recipe to go wrong, especially rice. If you can, use fresh and seasonal vegetables and if it can be organic, the better.
- Aceite de oliva virgen extra
- 1 y 1/2 tazas de chorizo vegano (270 g)
- 4 dientes de ajo
- 1/2 cebolla
- 1/3 taza de pimiento verde (50 g)
- 1/3 taza de pimiento rojo (50 g)
- 1/3 taza de guisantes congelados (50 g)
- 1 y 2/3 taza de tomate triturado (410 g)
- 1 y 1/4 tazas de arroz Basmati normal (240 g) o integral (270 g)
- Caldo de verduras o agua: 4 tazas (1 l) si usas arroz Basmati normal o 6 tazas (1,5 l) si usas integral
- 2 cucharadas de tomillo
- Sal y pimienta al gusto
- Sauté the chorizo in the paella pan with a dash of oil until lightly browned. Reserve.
- Sauté the chopped fresh vegetables (garlic, onion, green and red pepper). When they are golden, add the peas and the crushed tomato and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Add the rice and the chorizo and cook until the edges of the grains of rice begin to show through. Add the broth (which must be hot). Add the thyme and season to taste.
- Let cook over medium to medium high heat for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the rice is done. If you need more broth, add more as you go. If you use brown rice, it will take 55 minutes to 1 hour for it to be ready.
- Ideally, let the rice sit covered before eating for at least 5-10 minutes.