We really wanted to try the quinoa or quinoa and the truth is that it has not disappointed us, it is delicious! We continue experimenting with it and want to try more recipes, like this berber stew, using quinoa instead of couscous .
For those of you who don’t know what quinoa is, it is a pseudo cereal, from the Andes, it is an excellent source of protein and contains all eight essential amino acids, so it is a perfect food for vegans and vegetarians. It does not contain gluten, has a low glycemic index, a high fiber content, helps control cholesterol levels, prevents constipation and is also rich in omega 3 and omega 6 essential fatty acids, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, zinc, magnesium and vitamins B and E. It is a very healthy and complete food, which is worth including in our diet.
- 2 tazas de caldo de verduras (500 mililitros)
- 1 taza de leche de almendras (250 mililitros)
- 1/2 cucharadita de orégano
- 1/2 cucharadita de tomillo
- 1/2 cucharadita de de nuez moscada
- 1/2 taza de harina de arroz (90 gramos)
- 50 gramos de tomates secos
- 3 tazas de brócoli (250 gramos)
- 1 taza de agua (250 mililitros)
- 1 taza de quinoa (200 gramos)
- 1 cucharadita de levadura nutricional (o levadura de cerveza, aunque esta tiene gluten)
- Sal al gusto (opcional)*
- Preheat the oven to 200 ºC or 390 ºF.
- In a saucepan, pour the vegetable broth and half a cup of almond milk (125 milliliters), turn the heat up to the maximum so that it boils. In a bowl we put the other half cup of milk, the spices and the flour, stir until all the ingredients are mixed and there are no lumps. Pour the mixture into the saucepan when it is boiling and stir with a whisk or a wooden spoon until the sauce ingredients are perfectly integrated and the sauce thickens.
- You must wash the quinoa well before cooking to remove the saponins (a bitter substance used to make soap).
- In another bowl, pour a cup of water (250 milliliters ), the bechamel sauce, the quinoa and the nutritional yeast, stir and pour the mixture into a greased baking dish or container with a little oil and put it in the oven for 30 minutes.
- To hydrate the dried tomatoes, boil water in a saucepan and when it boils, remove it from the heat and add the dried tomatoes, let them rest for 20 minutes and then drain them.
- To make the broccoli, heat water in a pot and when it is boiling add the broccoli. We leave it one or two minutes or until the broccoli has an intense green color. Strain it, add cold water and set aside.
- Remove the pan from the oven, add the dried tomatoes cut into strips and the broccoli and return to the oven for another five minutes.
* We do not add salt because the vegetable broth, the spices and the dried tomatoes add flavour, but if you want you can add a little salt to the bechamel and the cooking water of the broccoli.
** Recipe adapted from Pinch of Yum.