I was looking for new flavors of ice cream to make recipes on the blog and I saw that mint and chocolate was one of the most popular. I have never liked it, but Alberto loves it, so I decided to give it a try and the truth is that it is the only mint and chocolate ice cream that I have tried that I like, it is to lick your fingers!
It does not have as strong a color as most packaged ice creams because they usually contain coloring and this recipe is 100% natural, but if you want it to have a more intense color, you can add spirulina or some superfood that has a powerful green color.
- 1 taza de anacardos crudos y sin sal (150 g)
- 1/2 taza de agua (125 ml)
- 1/2 lata de leche de coco (200 ml ó 7 oz)
- 5 dátiles Medjool, sin hueso
- 1 y 1/4 tazas de hojas de menta (25 g ó 1 oz)
- 5–10 gotas de aceite esencial de menta (opcional, ver notas)
- 100 g de chocolate negro (3,5 oz), troceado
- Soak cashews for at least 4 hours.
- Strain the cashews and toss all ingredients into a blender  ;(except dark chocolate) and beat until well integrated. Store the mixture in an airtight container in the fridge to chill for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- I used a fridge and follow the manufacturer’s instructions (see notes if you don’t have a fridge). Basically you have to leave the container of the refrigerator in the freezer overnight (better for 24 hours) and the next day add the mixture little by little with the machine running. In my fridge the ice cream was ready in 30 minutes. Add the chocolate when there are 5 minutes left and if it is not perfectly integrated, when you remove the ice cream to a container, stir until it is completely integrated.
- Once the ice cream is ready, you can eat it directly (I served it with more chopped chocolate on top), although the ideal is to keep it in the freezer for another 2 hours to firmer.
- Ice cream can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for 1 to 2 weeks. Ideally, take it out of the freezer 5 or 10 minutes before serving to make it creamier.
- I have not tried the recipe with other types of nuts, although I do not think it will be the same.
- I have not prepared it with any other type of non-dairy milk, but I think it could be good, although not as creamy.
- I’ve only made this ice cream with an ice cream maker. I suppose it will work if you don’t have one, although it won’t be as creamy. You have to put the mixture in an airtight container in the freezer for 7 or 8 hours depending on the texture you want to achieve. So that crystals do not come out, you have to stir it every half hour for at least the first 2 or 3 hours.
- If you cannot find Medjool dates, you can use another type of date such as Deglet Nour, although in that case you would have You have to add twice as much and it is better to soak them in hot water for a while to soften them. You can also use other sweeteners, although I can’t tell you how much.
- The essential oil of peppermint is optional, although it gives it a more intense mint flavor. If you want you can add more mint leaves or use mint extract (I’ve never used it, so I don’t know how much you should add). Make sure that the essential oil is edible, it is usually put in the container itself. I have read on occasion that pregnant women and very young children should not consume this type of oil, ask your store or herbalist or omit this ingredient.
- With the code DANZA-DE-FOGONES-5 you will get a 5% discount on any product of web de Vitality 4 Life.