- 1 packet of Medjool dates (about 2-3 Medjool dates per person)
- 60ml/4 tbsp sweet or medium sherry topped with water up to 250ml sherries – incl most Harvey’s – are vegan, but check first)
- 1 tsp arrowroot, or 2 tsp cornmeal if you can’t get it
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
< li> 1 teaspoon vegan cream cheese (Tofutti, Tesco or Sheese) per date
- Stir the arrowroot into the sherry/water and whisk well.
- Bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Add the sugar and vanilla extract and simmer for a few minutes – until the sugar has dissolved.
- Let cool – the sauce should be just right.
- Slit the dates open with a sharp knife and a spoonful of cream cheese. Arrange the dates on a serving platter, drizzle the sauce artfully around the dates and serve.