Filling and healthy eggplant lasagna with lentil marinara. Made with just 10 ingredients, it’s the perfect plant-based and gluten-free appetizer!
- 2 medium
eggplant (cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices // or 12 lasagna noodles, cooked)
- Sea salt (for sweating)
- 1 EL olive oil
SAUCE + LENTILS
- 1 28 ounces Jar of Favorite Marinara Sauce* (I like Trader Joe’s Basil Marinara) < /li>
- 1/2 span> cup water
- 3/4 cup < span class="wprm-recipe-ingredient-name">Rinsed and drained coral lentils (may turn green, lengthened but the cooking time)
- 1 12 ounces extra firm tofu block (drained and pressed dry for 10 minutes)
- 1 1/2 medium Lemons, Juice (1 1/2 lemons make ~1/4 cup or 60ml)
- 3 soup closer yeast
- < span class="wprm-recipe-ingredient-amount">1/2 cup fresh basil (finely chopped // plus more for serving)
- 1 Soup dried oregano
- 1/2< /span> tsp sea salt + black pepper each
- 1-2 soup olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese (optional // and more to serve)
- Preheat the oven to 218°C. Also prepare two baking sheets and a large casserole dish (9×13 inches or similar) (sizes/amounts as directed in original recipe // adjust if changing batch size).
- Rinse the aubergine slices well salted and dry them thoroughly absorbent towels. Place a baking sheet on top and place something heavy on top to absorb excess moisture.
- Place the disc on 1-2 jaws Spread the leaves in an even layer and drizzle with a little olive or grapeseed oil. Bake at 425 degrees F for 13-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and reduce the oven heat to 190°C.
- While the eggplant is cooking, add the marinara sauce and water in one large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Then add the rinsed lentils and reduce the heat to a simmer (low) and cook, slightly covered (to avoid splattering), stirring for about 15-20 minutes or until the lentils are tender /div>Meanwhile, prepare some tofu ricotta. Place all the ricotta ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse to combine, scraping the sides as needed. You want a semi-pure mixture with the basil pieces still intact.Flavour and adjust seasonings as needed, add more salt and Pepper for flavor, nutritional yeast for cheese, or lemon juice for brightness. I usually add a few more of the three.Spread a thin layer of lentil marinara sauce in your casserole dish. Then layer some eggplant pieces (see photo).Put half of the ricotta filling on the eggplant slices and spread an even layer. Then cover with another layer of marinara sauce. Repeat until all the ricotta is used up. NOTE: The top layers should be: marinara, eggplant noodles, marinara.Sprinkle the top with vegan parmesan (optional) and cover with Foil. Bake at 375 F (190 C) for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and hot and the top layer is very lightly golden (see photo).
/ li>Leave for 10-15 minutes, then slice with a serrated or very sharp knife and serve with additional vegan parmesan and fresh basil (optional). .< /div>Keep leftovers covered in the fridge for 3-4 days and reheat in the oven or microwave until warm. You can freeze this dish for up to 1 month: cook until cooked, then thaw slightly and then cool Bake at 190 °C until heated through.
< li id="wprm-recipe-35167-step-0-1" class="wprm-recipe-instruction" style="list-style-type: decimal;">