really wanted to share this recipe on the blog but I had a hard time finding a coconut milk that would work perfectly. Coconut whipped cream is the healthiest alternative I have found to traditional whipped cream and you only need 2 ingredients to make it: coconut milk and your favorite sweetener. Until now I had used soy cream, but the ingredients were not exactly healthy. I had also tried using coconut cream (as in this recipe from homemade oreo cookies< /a>) but the result did not convince me.
The problem is that in Spain the coconut milks that they usually sell are not of very good quality and generally have a low coconut content and therefore a low fat content since they are usually mixed with water to make them cheaper. The percentage of coconut milk has to be at least 50 or 60%. I have read in other blogs that it is important that milk does not have guar gum among its ingredients, but I have not been able to find any that meets both requirements. Anyway, it worked for me without any problem.
- 1 lata de leche de coco de 400 ml ó 14 oz
- 4 cucharadas de azúcar glass, sirope de agave o de arce*
- 1/2 cucharadita de extracto de vainilla (opcional)
- Put the coconut milk can into the fridge the night before.
- Also put a large bowl and the whisks in the fridge for at least 15 minutes before whipping the coconut milk.
- Take the can out of the fridge carefully, without shaking or tilting it. Open it. At the top there will be a solid layer and at the bottom a kind of water or watered coconut milk. Put the solid part in the bowl and save the liquid to make smoothies, sweets or whatever you can think of.
- Beat with a stick blender until you get a similar consistency to the whipped cream.
- Add the sweetener and beat again for at least 1-2 minutes to mix the ingredients well.
- Use it immediately or store it in the fridge (it lasts 1-2 weeks). If you keep the cream in the fridge it will have a harder consistency. If it gets too hard, shake it before serving.
* If you use another sweetener you may need to add more or less.