There are many ways to replace the egg in vegan cooking, but to prepare sweet recipes, my preferred option is the flax or flaxseed egg because it has a very similar consistency to an egg and does not add flavor as is the case with bananas or apple sauce. It also has a similar volume and is very easy to prepare, you just have to beat flax seeds with water or mix the already ground seeds with water in a container and wait about 5 minutes until it has a viscous consistency, similar to that of an egg. It is a fairly cheap, simple and natural option and luckily we can already find flax seeds in many supermarkets.
- 1 cucharada de semillas de lino o linaza
- 3 cucharadas de agua
- Add the flax or linseed seeds and the water in a blender and beat until perfectly combined.
- In some blenders it is better to first grind the flax until it becomes a powder and then add the water and return to beat or mix directly the powder with the water in a bowl and stir with a fork.
- Let stand for at least 5 minutes to thicken.
- You can use both golden flax and brown flax.
- The ideal is to use whole seeds or grind them at the moment, do not buy them already ground because they are preserved worse and they lose their properties.
- I recommend making the egg right away, just before using it, not overnight or hours in advance.