Today I come back with an easy recipe that is already a classic in my house. Homemade Custard! But this time we make them with a touch of horchata. Since I didn’t have horchata at home, I made it from the Ecomil tigernut vegetable milk. This one in particular is incredibly rich for iced coffees, believe me. If you have never tried «horchatear» coffee… I don’t know what you are waiting for. It is my favorite combo for breakfast now in summer.
This tigernut milk has no added sweeteners, which is why we have been consuming it daily (it is also gluten-free and certified vegan). So that this custard has the flavor of horchata, I mix it with some sweetener and…voilà! You have a traditional custard, with a light “horchateado” touch.
1 cup of tiger nut milk or horchata
2 or 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
1 slice of lemon peel
1 tsp liquid vanilla
Optional: 1 biscuit
Step by step
- We start by mixing in a cold pot the cup of tigernut or horchata milk with 1 teaspoon of liquid vanilla and the 2 or 3 tablespoons cornstarch: 2 tablespoons if you want it creamier, 3 if you want it denser.
- With a whisk, and with the heat off, beat well until the flour is dissolved.
- Now, turn on medium-low heat. Stir constantly for 2 min. and remove the lemon.
- Stirring constantly, keep on heat until it thickens and becomes creamy.
- When it acquires a custard-like texture, turn it off and pour it over the containers.
- Let it cool down and, when it’s ready, put it in the fridge until it cools.
- And it’s ready to eat!
< li>Now, we add 1 slice of lemon peel and, optionally, sweetener.
Horchata usually contains a large amount of sweetener, so add sweetener to taste. Since I used unsweetened tiger nut milk, I added 1/4 cup of agave syrup.