- Brine/AF from a can of cannelini/kidney beans
- 1 tbsp. Vegg Vegan Egg Yolk Substitute, prepared according to instructions*
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons of white sugar
- Unflavoured vegetable oil for frying
- 6 slices of your favorite bread (grain bread is good because the kernels are nicely caramelized) li>
- Maple syrup to serve
- * If you don’t have any veggies, use 3/4 tsp nutritional yeast and 1/4 black salt mixed with 30ml water
< li>1/2 tsp finely ground pepper
- Turn on your oven and place the plate inside. This is to keep the cooked slices warm while cooking.
- Beat the brine/AF until it reaches the ribbon stage, mine only took 4 to 5 minutes in my stand mixer on medium to high speed.< /li >
- Add the egg yolk mixture (if it is very firm, add a little water, it should have the consistency of washing-up liquid!) and season with salt and pepper. Continue stirring for an additional minute.
- Now add the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, making sure to mix well each time.
- On the flat bottom of the bowl give. Cut your bread in half diagonally. Add 4 pieces to the AF mix. Flip to coat both sides. It won’t dig into the bread very much, but that’s okay. (See photo)
- Heat your pan over medium-high heat, pour in a tablespoon of vegetable oil and place your slices in. Don’t try to move it around until the AF blend on top looks melted.
- Use a spatula, you may need a bit of work to loosen the disc from the mold, but sometimes it’s ok . Go back and do the same thing again. Each side should be golden brown.
- Slide the slices in the oven to keep them warm. Serve with maple syrup.