7-ingredient vegan buns that are moist, buttery and so easy to make. Perfect for weeknight meals and holiday get-togethers! No one would guess that they are dairy free.
- 2 tablespoon Organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cc Sea salt
- 1 Package fast rising yeast
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (up to 1/3 with whole wheat pastries // and more for kneading)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 soup vegan butter and more for garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 3/4 cup flour (amount listed in recipe // adjust if batch size changes), yeast, sugar, and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl (or small saucepan over medium-high heat), heat the water, almond milk, and butter until hot – about 110 – 120 degrees F/43 – 48 °C ( ~55 seconds). It should be the temperature of the bath water. If it’s too hot, it can kill the yeast.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and beat or beat 2 For minutes, scrape pages as needed.
- Add 1/4 cup (the amount as in the Written recipe noted // adjust if changing batch size) add more flour and beat another 2 minutes. Then add just enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Place on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Then let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 pieces (amount listed in recipe // will change if you adjust batch size), form into balls and place in a greased 8×8 skillet or 8-inch round pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume – about 30-45 minutes.
- < span style ="display:block;">Preheat the oven to 190°C and brush the top with additional melted vegan butter (optional). Bake for 18-20 minutes or until fluffy and lightly browned.
- For best results, serve immediately, or with vegan butter and jam of your choice, like orange thyme. Otherwise store loosely covered with a kitchen towel on the counter for up to 3 days. For freezing, we recommend pre-cooked freezing, then when you’re done, let them thaw, rise and bake.