Easy 7-ingredient dark chocolate quinoa bowl, naturally sweetened with maple syrup and enriched with rich cocoa powder! A healthy, hearty, plant-based breakfast or snack.
- 1 cup
uncooked white quinoa
- 1 cup < span class="wprm-recipe-ingredient-name"> unsweetened almond milk (and more to serve) span> li>
- 1 < span class="wprm-recipe-ingredient-unit">cupCoconut milk (l canned or Carton drink)
- 1 pinch Sea salt
- 2 EL Cocoa powder unsweetened< /li>
- 2-3 Soup Maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 1/2 < span class="wprm-recipe-ingredient-unit">cc pure vanilla extract (optional)< /li>
- 3-4 squares vegan dark chocolate (roughly chopped)< /li>< /ul>
FOR SERVING optional
- Mixed berries
- Coconut Sugar li>
- hemp seeds or chia seeds
< li class="wprm-recipe-ingredients" style="list -style-type: disc;">Banana slices
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly in a fine-mesh colander for 2 minutes using your hands to sort and select remaining discolored chunks or pebbles.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the rinsed and drained quinoa and toast for 3 minutes, stirring frequently to dry out the water, and lightly toast.
- Add almond milk, coconut milk and a pinch of salt and stir. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. When it stops simmering, increase the heat to medium-low. Maintain a gentle simmer throughout cooking.
- Once the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender, remove from the heat and Add cocoa powder, maple syrup and vanilla (optional). Stir to combine.
- Flavour and adjust flavor as needed. If you prefer a finer texture, add a little more almond milk. I added more cocoa powder and maple syrup for a more intense chocolate flavor.
- Serve each Bowl of quinoa with a small square of vegan dark chocolate and any toppings you want (see above). I prefer mine with a little more coconut milk, hemp seeds, and fresh fruit (optional).
- Preferably fresh, although leftovers Keep covered in the fridge for 2-3 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a small saucepan with additional almond milk to add moisture.