Tender mashed potatoes, roasted until crisp, then topped with a creamy garlic herb pesto! A delicious vegan and gluten-free appetizer or snack!
- 1 1/2 pound < span class="wprm-recipe-ingredient-name">small golden/yellow potatoes
- 1 1/2 soup Olive Oil (or under another neutral oil)
- 1 a healthy pinch any sea salt & black pepper (~1/2 cc how the original recipe is written)
full cups lightly packed fresh basil (large stems removed)
- 2 Cloves span > Garlic (chopped // 2 cloves gives ~1 tbsp chopped)
- 3 EL raw pine nuts or nuts < span class="wprm-recipe-ingredients-notes wprm-recipe -ingredients nt-notes-faded">(omit for nut allergies)
- 2 EL Lemon Juice
- 1 1/ 2 tablespoon Nutritional yeast*
- 2-3 soup extra virgin olive oil (or neutral oil among others)< /span>
- 1 healthy pinch any sea salt & black pepper
- In a large saucepan, place the rinsed potatoes and cover them with water until just submerged. Bring to a boil over high heat. Then reduce the heat to medium-high to bring it to a gentle simmer. Bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender and a knife slides in and out easily.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pesto by adding basil, garlic, walnuts, lemon juice and nutritional yeast to an < div c lass="wprm-recipe-instruction-text" style="margin-bottom: 5px";="">Savor and adjust flavor as needed, adding more lemon juice for acidity, nutritional yeast for cheese flavor, salt and pepper for overall flavor or garlic for spiciness. Transfer to a small serving bowl and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment-lined pastries. When the potatoes are soft and tender, place them on the baking sheet and mash them with the bottom of a saucepan. For larger potatoes, cut in half and then mash so they’re still “bite-sized.”
- Drizzle the potatoes with 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and season with a good pinch of salt and pepper (adjust amounts as per original recipe // if changing batch size). Fry for 20-25 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Pour the pesto over the potatoes to serve ( you will have leftovers). Garnish with chopped basil or parsley and additional pine nuts (optional).
- Preferably fresh. Store leftovers separately in the fridge. Potatoes can be kept for 3-4 days. Pesto can be kept for approx. 1 week (see information on using leftovers). Heat in a 350 degree oven until hot, then top with leftover pesto.