Welcome to this new recipe section! As I told you on Instagram, today I am opening a new category of recipes on the blog : slow pot or crockpot recipes. I’ve had the slow cooker for a while now and I want to get more out of it, so today I’m bringing you a chickpea stew in a slow cooker.
don’t know if you’ve ever heard of slow cookers or crockpots. I have prepared a review about my Crockpot slow cooker so you can learn more about what slow cookers are and what they are used for.
500 gr of raw chickpeas (soaked for 4 hours)
1 large onion
2 courgettes< /p>
2 large carrots
4 green asparagus
2 garlic cloves
Minced garlic and fresh parsley (you can buy it or make it at home)
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup tomato
Broth (I used 10 cups)
Optional: Calabizo chorizo
Step by step
- The first thing we have to do is preferably hydrate the raw chickpeas for 4 hours, to save us a few hours of crockpot.
- Peel and cut the garlic into slices, the onion into slices, the asparagus into pieces, carrots into slices, the zucchini into strips, and the pumpkin into cubes. Since it had Calabizco chorizo, I also cut it up and added slices, but you can omit it. You can also add other ingredients that are spectacular although I do not indicate it in the recipe, such as mushrooms, spinach, chard, pepper or potato.
- We add everything to the crockpot.
- Add a splash of olive oil and 1/2 cup of tomato sauce.
- Now add the chickpeas (removing the water in which they were soaking) and 10 cups of broth – I used broth cubes, so I added them whole to the crockpot and then the 10 cups of water – (remember to adapt the amount to the size of your crockpot, mine is 7 liters and a half).
- To finish, add 2 tablespoons of minced garlic and parsley, 1 tablespoon of sweet paprika, a tip of a tablespoon of pepper, another tip of ginger, 1 tablespoon of garlic powder, 1/2 of oregano, 1/2 of cumin, salt to taste and two bay leaves.
- Mix and program the crockpot at medium-high power for 20 hours. We close and let it work until the chickpeas are cooked. Remember that you can check the hardness of the chickpeas after several hours, but every time you open the slow cooker you lose heat that takes a while to recover. That’s what slow cookers have!
- And that’s it, serve it hot and freeze everything you have left over to consume later 🙂 The result has to be similar to the photo that I show you above!