I’ve never tried cabbage soup before, but it’s so tasty and incredibly easy to make. The ingredients are very simple and easy to find, except for the italian seasoning, but you can omit it, make it at home or substitute it for any other dried herb such as oregano or basil.
The good thing about this soup is that being so basic, you can add or remove whatever ingredients you want: vegetables, herbs (fresh or dried), spices, etc. You could also add some hydrate to make it more consistent, such as potato, sweet potato, rice or pasta.
- 1 cucharada de aceite de oliva virgen extra (opcional)
- 2 dientes de ajo, troceados
- 1 ramita de apio, troceada
- 1/2 cebolla, troceada
- 1 zanahoria, troceada
- 1/2 pimiento rojo, troceado
- 450 g de col (1 libra), troceada
- 1 cucharada de condimento italiano (opcional)
- 1/2 cucharadita de sal
- 1/4 cucharadita de pimienta negra molida
- 2 hojas de laurel
- 4 tazas de caldo de verduras o agua (1 litro)
- 1 lata de tomates de 400 g (14 oz)
- Heat the oil in a pot and add garlic, celery and onion. Cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until they begin to brown, stirring occasionally. If you don’t want to use oil, you can substitute it with water or vegetable broth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook over high heat until it boils. Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve immediately (I sprinkled some chopped fresh parsley on top) or store refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for about 4-5 days.
- Use whatever vegetables, herbs, and spices you like.
- You can also use fresh tomatoes, although in that case you may need to add more stock or water.
- The Italian seasoning can be omitted or substituted with other dried herbs such as oregano or basil.
- Nutritional information has been calculated using water instead of broth.