Buffalo chicken wings (or Buffalo wings in English) is a typical American recipe. The wings are fried and then covered in a mixture of hot sauce and butter or margarine. This version is vegan, so I used tofu instead of chicken and extra virgin olive oil instead of butter (I try to avoid margarine as much as possible because it’s less healthy).
To accompany the sticks I have prepared a kind of ranchera sauce (also typical of the United States), which is very tasty and is lighter and healthier than the original.
Para los palitos:
- 275 g de tofu (9.7 oz)
- Aceite de oliva virgen extra al gusto
- 4 cucharadas de salsa picante
- 2 cucharadas de aceite de oliva virgen extra
Para la salsa:
- 1/4 taza de agua (125 ml)
- 1 cucharada de zumo de limón
- 1 cucharada de salsa de soja
- 1 cucharada de aceite de oliva virgen extra
- 140 g de tofu (5 oz)
- 1/4 taza de anacardos (40 g)
- 1/2 cucharadita de estragón
- 1/2 cucharadita de tomillo
- 1/2 cucharadita de eneldo
- 1/2 cucharadita de ajo en polvo
- 1/2 cucharadita de cebolla en polvo
- 1/4 cucharadita de pimentón dulce
- Pimienta negra al gusto
- Cut the tofu into strips (I I got 16). Coat it with cornstarch and fry it in a pan with extra virgin olive oil (or in a fryer) for about 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. When the tofu is fried, let it cool down a bit so you can handle it.
- In a bowl, add the hot sauce and the 4 tablespoons of oil. Dip the tofu sticks in the mixture and bake them on a parchment-lined baking sheet for about 15 minutes on each side at 390ºF/200ºC.
- To make the sauce put all the ingredients in a blender and beat until they are perfectly integrated.
Receta adaptada de Oh My Veggies