Hello everyone! We continue with the rice recipes. After setting the bar quite high with the Traditional vegetable paella a> that we marked last week, today I come with a black rice with vegetables and a quick and vegan version of the delicious ajoaceite or alioli.
What is different about black rice?
150 grams of black rice (or wild rice)
3 spring garlic
200 g of mixed mushrooms for rice dishes: mushrooms, portobello, shiitake and shimeji
Fresh lamb’s lettuce
2 garlic cloves
Plenty of water
* Optional: Mediterranean heura bites
For the express vegan alioli:
200 ml of aquafaba (this is the liquid that comes in a standard 500gr can of chickpeas, I know that It may sound strange, but don’t be scared)
400 ml of sunflower oil
2 or 3 garlic cloves
Black salt (it will give it an egg flavor)
*We will need a blender
Step by step
- We will start by chopping the onion and mincing 2 garlic cloves.
- Next, we will sauté it in a greased pan with a little olive oil.
- When it starts to brown, add 1/3 of the mushroom mixture and the sliced spring garlic.
- Leave it over medium heat -low, stirring periodically, so that the vegetables cook well.
- Next, with the mushrooms well browned, add the black rice.
- Sauté it for 5 minutes, stirring periodically , and then we add water.
- We will start by adding 300 ml of water (twice as much as rice), but this rice requires much more water to reach its point.
- In the meantime, we can to cook the brussels sprouts, about 10-20 minutes. Until they are tender. Time may vary depending on whether they are fresh or frozen.
- Keep the rice over medium heat, cooking gently.
- Meanwhile We prepare the vegan garlic oil (alioli). To do this, add 200 ml of aquafaba and 400 ml of sunflower oil to a deep pot.
- Now, with the mixer at minimum power, place it in the lowest part of the pot and mix. Don’t move the mixer up and down, just put it down. This is important so that this garlic oil (or aioli) does not cut.
- When the lower part has already turned white and thick, you can start slowly raising and lowering the mixer, without increasing the power.
- Next, add 2 generous pinches of black salt, 2 cloves of garlic and grind again, from top to bottom at low power.
- It’s time to try it. If you see good garlic and flavor, ready. If not, you can add more black salt or garlic.
- We reserve it in the fridge, and continue.
- It is likely that by now the rice has consumed all the water, so Check grain hardness. I had to add another 300 ml of water to the pan, but it can vary depending on the brand.
- Let the rice cook until the grain is somewhat tender but firm, adding more water if needed. Keep in mind that this rice should not be soft like regular white rice.
- When the rice is ready, let it rest and meanwhile, in another pan, sauté the leftover mushrooms, halved Brussels sprouts and heura (if you have it).
- When the bites are ready, place them in the bowl along with the rice, brussels sprouts, cherry tomatoes in halves, a little vegan aioli, a handful of lamb’s lettuce and 1 sliced avocado.