- Chocolate sponge cake:
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar li>
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- Cherry garnish:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/3 cup cherry brandy or water if you don’t want to add alcohol
- Two cans of cherries, drained
- Cream Filling:
- Dairy-free whipped cream (Soyatoo whipped cream is available from online stores in the US or UK)
Chocolate sponge cake:
- Mix all the dry ingredients well, add the wet ingredients and mix. li>
- Distribute the mixture between the two 8-inch round pans.
- If you want a large cake, double the sponge cake recipe and divide between three baking pans.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 200/400 degrees or thermostat 6 and check by piercing the cakes with a small knife or toothpick. If the knife or toothpick doesn’t come out clean, return directly to the oven for 5 minutes until the poke test comes out clean.
- Let the sponges cool for a while when finished.< /li>
- Heat the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan.
- Stir in the cherry liqueur or water .
- Then add the cherries and cook until the mixture thickens, the juice can soak up the biscuit base.
- You can save the drained cherry juice and add some cherry liqueur to make nice sweet shots with the cake !
Whip Soy Cream is available in online stores in the UK. p>
- Keep beating them until they are as thick as possible. It’s best to use an electric whisk, otherwise you’ll be beating all day!
- Place the cherry filling pour on the first biscuit and let the juice soak in.
- If you only have one sponge cake left, spread the cream over the cherries. If you have two more, put the next biscuit on top of the cherries and then spread the cream on top.
- Put the last layer of biscuits on top of the cream.
- You can top with the whole Go crazy with cream or whipped cream on the edge of the top sponge cake and a few cherries in the middle.
- Top with candied cherries, chocolate shavings or maybe chocolate sprinkles of your choice!