- 5.2 oz (150 g, 80 ml) melted coconut oil (can also use vegetable/sunflower or coconut oil or other mild oils) li>
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup (5.7 oz, 150 g) whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup (3.5 oz, 100 g) self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup (3.5 oz, 100 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 ml) of your favorite plant-based milk
- 2 flaxseed “eggs” (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed mixed with 6 tablespoons water)
- 3 medium ripe bananas
Mix the two flaxseed “eggs” by adding the ground flaxseed to the water and setting aside.
Mix together the whole wheat flour , the flour – sourdough powder, baking powder and powdered sugar in a bowl.
Mash the bananas and add your choice of plant-based milk, oil, vanilla and two flaxseed “eggs”. Stir well to combine all ingredients.
Make a well in the center of your dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Don’t mix too much as you will deflate the batter and reduce volume as it bakes.
Pour your mixture into the muffin cases and bake for 18-22 minutes. p>
In front of you pop them in the oven, you might want to sprinkle some more ground flax on top but it’s not essential.
You’ll know they’re done when you stick a toothpick in and dry it is. Once there is no more batter on the toothpick, remove from the oven as over-baking will result in dry muffins.
These will keep for 3-4 days in an airtight container, or you can fully freeze them individually chilled Individual freezing is a great method for those who have trouble finding time to eat breakfast, as you can take one out of the freezer and pop it in the fridge the night before and it’s ready to eat the next morning.