Vegan 1-Bowl Funfetti Cupcakes that taste just like the real thing! Moist, sweet and full of vegan buttercream and sprinkles.
- 1 small cup dairy-free (we used unsweetened almond milk)< /span>
- 1 TL Apple Vinegar
- 1 TL pure vanilla extract
- 1 small cup Organic cane zuc ker
- < span class="wprm-recipe-ingredient-amount">1 1/ 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 TL Yeast powder
- 1/2 TL Baking soda< /li>
- 1/4 cc salt
- 1/3 cup Rainbow sprinkles* (more on garnish)< /li>
< li class="wprm-recipe-ingredient" style="list-style-type: disk;">1/2 cup neutral oil (like avocado)
1/2 cup vegan butter (SOFT // 1 stick makes 1/2 cup – we love Earth Balance and Miyoko’s brands )
- 1/ 4 TL Vanilla Extract li>
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups icing sugar (SIFTED)
- 1 splash dairy-free ( optional em> // Almonds and coconut are best!)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a standard muffin tin with 12 paper cups (as written in original recipe // adjust if batch size is changed).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the powdered milk and vinegar or lemon juice. Mix and let stand briefly sick/activate protocol. Then add the oil and vanilla and beat vigorously with a whisk or hand mixer to combine everything. Then add the sugar and whisk or use a hand mixer to beat to combine/dissolve. It may splatter, so be careful!
- Dry ingredients Add (omit nuggets) to a sieve in this order: two-thirds of the flour, the baking powder, the baking soda, the salt, then the remaining third of the flour.
- Sift the wet ingredients and mix with a whisk or hand blender until smooth. They are well incorporated and no large lumps remain. The texture should be somewhere between thick and fine. Not liquid, but not scoopable (rather pourable). Kind of close to a consistency of buttermilk pancake batter. We had to add another 1-2 tbsp of flour to thicken it up a bit.
- < span style="display: block;">Add the crumbles and gently fold in/stir with a rubber spatula or mixing spoon. Then divide the batter evenly among the cupcake holders, being careful NOT to overfill. These work best at 3/4 up.
- Bake on middle shelf for 20-24 minutes or until a Toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. They’re just a very, very light golden brown color.
- Let cool completely a refrigerated shelf. Meanwhile, prepare the glaze (optional). Wipe out your bowl and add softened butter. Beat until light and fluffy. Then add the vanilla and mix again.
- Add< b >SIVEN the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time and continue to mix until thick and creamy. Scratch the sides as needed. If it gets too thick or crumbly, add some plant-based milk to thin it out (optional). You want this frosting to be extra thick so it will hold its shape on the cupcakes. If it gets too runny, thicken with more powdered sugar.
- Once cool, glaze the cupcakes and garnish with vermicelli. Serve immediately. Store leftovers, covered, at room temperature or refrigerated for up to 3 days.